When it comes to towing a car, the distance can be a major factor in determining the overall cost and logistics of the job. Long distance towing, also known as car towing from state to state, involves transporting a vehicle over a significant distance, typically across state lines. A car towing service might be in need for various reasons, such as a move to a new state, a vehicle breakdown, or even luxury car transportation for a special event. No matter the reason, it’s crucial to understand the unique challenges and costs associated with cross country towing. This guide will give you the ins and outs of everything you need to know about towing cars from state to state, including what it is, how much it costs, and what car towing companies are considered good. So, if you need car tow services, you’re in the right place.
What Is Long Distance Towing?
Long distance car towing, also known as car towing state to state, involves the transportation of a vehicle over a significant distance, typically across state lines. This car towing service is generally needed when a vehicle has broken down or been involved in an accident far away from home or when a vehicle is being moved to a new location.
The distance considered “long” can vary depending on the context and long distance towing companies. Generally, any distance that is over 50 miles or that involves crossing state lines is considered a long distance. However, some cross country towing companies may consider any distance over 25 miles to be long. It’s always best to check with car towing companies for their definition of long distance.
Long Distance Towing Cost
The cost of long distance car transportation can vary depending on several factors. Some of the main factors that determine the long distance towing cost include:
- Distance: The farther the distance, the higher the cost.
- Type of vehicle: Towing a larger vehicle, such as a truck or RV, will typically cost more than towing a car.
- Road conditions: Towing in difficult road conditions, such as through mountains or bad weather, can increase the cost.
- Additional services: If extra services are needed, such as long distance flatbed towing or winching, the long distance towing cost will increase.
Approximate long distance towing prices can range from $1 to $5 per mile for a standard car towing service, with prices increasing for larger vehicles or additional services. For example, towing a car from New York to California (approximately 2,700 miles) could cost anywhere from $2,700 to $13,500, depending on the abovementioned factors. It’s always best to get a quote from a few car towing companies to compare prices and services before deciding. At Shipaa, we do our best to offer the best price-quality ratio for our customers.
Cheapest Way to Tow a Car Long Distance
When it comes to towing car long distance, a few methods tend to be cheaper than others. The most cost-effective option is typically a flatbed truck, as it allows the car to be towed without needing additional equipment or services. Another option is a dolly, which attaches to the car’s front wheels and allows it to be towed behind a separate truck.
It’s essential to plan ahead as much as possible to save on interstate long tow costs. If you know you’ll be moving or traveling a long distance with your car, research long distance towing companies and compare prices well in advance. You can also try to arrange for a one-way rental truck or trailer to transport your car instead of using a long distance towing service. Additionally, make sure to remove any unnecessary items from the vehicle to reduce the overall weight and long distance towing cost.
You can also try to negotiate with a car towing company and ask for discounts or package deals if you need more than one cross country towing service. It’s also important to make sure the car towing company you choose is licensed and insured, as this will guarantee that your vehicle is in good hands and protected during the out of state car towing.
Long Distance Towing Companies – How To Choose?
How to choose a long distance towing company? You should consider a few critical factors. The first thing to look for is licensing and insurance. As was already mentioned, make sure the company is licensed and insured, so your vehicle is in good hands and protected during the state to state car towing.
Another important factor to consider is the company’s reputation and experience. Check out reviews and testimonials from past customers to get an idea of the company’s level of service and reliability. It’s also worth asking for references and checking them before making a decision.
Long distance towing cost is also an important factor to consider, but it’s not the only one. While most of us seek cheap long distance towing rates, don’t sacrifice quality and reliability for some declared ultra-low prices.
You can always entrust your vehicle to Shipaa. Shipaa is a leading provider of long distance towing services. Our company is fully licensed, insured, and experienced in handling all types of vehicles. We offer a wide range of car towing services, including flatbed towing, dolly towing, and more. Moreover, you can consider our enclosed transport, open transport, and door-to-door service. Our professional team is dedicated to ensuring that our customers get the highest level of service and reliability.
Advantages of Shipaa include:
- Experienced team of professionals;
- Wide range of services;
- Competitive pricing;
- Fully licensed and insured;
- 24/7 customer support.
For more information and a free quote, please contact us through the contact form on our main page.
How to Tow a Car Long Distance – What Do You Need to Prepare?
Towing a car across country is a challenging task, but proper preparation can make the process much smoother. Below are a few things to consider when preparing for towing a car to another state:
- Research car towing companies: Research car towing companies and compare long distance towing rates and services before deciding.
- Remove unnecessary items: Remove any unnecessary items from the car to reduce the overall weight and long distance towing cost. This can include items such as extra clothing, tools, and equipment.
- Check the vehicle’s condition: Check the vehicle’s brakes, tires, lights, and battery before cross country car towing to ensure they are in good working condition. Make sure the vehicle is properly secured on the tow truck.
- Make copies of important documents: Making copies of essential documents such as the registration, insurance, and driver’s license is paramount. You should have them at hand in case they get lost or damaged during the long distance vehicle towing. At Shipaa, we haven’t had such issues, but it’s best to be safe than sorry.
- Disconnect the battery: If your vehicle is being towed with 4 wheels on the ground, disconnect the battery to prevent any electrical system damage.
- Inform the towing company of any special requirements: If your vehicle has any special requirements, such as a lowered suspension or a custom exhaust system, inform the long distance towing company so they can prepare accordingly.
These tips will help you prepare your vehicle properly for long distance towing and make sure the process goes as smoothly as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions About Long Distance State to State Towing
- What damage can happen from towing a car?
While towing a car is generally safe, there is always a risk of damage to the vehicle. Some of the most common types of damage that can occur during cross country towing include tire damage, suspension damage, and damage to the transmission or drivetrain. Properly securing the vehicle and using a reputable long distance towing company can help reduce the risk of damage.
- What is the best way to tow a car long distance?
The best way is typically a long distance flatbed towing, as it allows for the car to be towed without the need for additional equipment or services. This method is also the safest way to tow a car as it reduces the risk of damage to the vehicle.
- What is the cheapest way to tow a car long distance?
The cheapest way to tow a car long distance is with a dolly, which attaches to the car’s front wheels and allows it to be towed behind a separate truck. However, long-distance flatbed towing is considered the most cost-effective option and safer.
- What vehicles can be towed over a long distance?
Most types of vehicles can be towed long distances, including cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, and RVs. However, some vehicles, such as motorcycles, may require specialized equipment or car tow services.
- How long does it take to tow my car to another state?
The amount of time it takes to tow a car across the country or to another state depends on the distance, the route, and the long distance towing company. On average, it can take anywhere from a few days to a week or more to tow a car a long distance. Such factors as traffic, weather, and road conditions can also affect the tow duration.